Looking for an elegant and luxurious recipe to bring to that next BBQ or summer party? Perhaps you want a special date night dish that can be enjoyed with a couple of drinks and a movie. This Lattice Weave Puff Pastry Wrapped Prosciutto + Brieis so delicious, that those who get to enjoy such a treat will likely lick the plate clean.
I found that by using Wewalka Puff Pastry, it held its shape super well and wasn't overly greasy, which was great. The brie I used, shown below, also worked out great. I found that brie is very affordable, ranging anywhere from $5 to way more expensive options. If you're new to Brie, then start off less expensive or in the middle of the price range.
This is a very rich and indulgent dish, but if you share it with friends, there's definitely no guilt in eating something like this. It's really amazing.
1 (8 oz) Round of Brie
1 package Wewalka puff pastry
1 egg, whisked with a fork for egg wash
1 package of Prosciutto, any brand you like
Crackers, pretzels, etc, to dip in cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice puff pastry into 1/2" strips, set aside.
2. Wrap opened brie round with prosciutto, then set on a pan or clean work surface.
3. To create lattice: place two dough strips on top of prosciutto wrapped brie in an X shape. Here is a link to a good tutorial on how to make the rest of the lattice (just make sure dough has no spaces between strips, so it holds in the cheese well. Once the entire top of the brie has been latticed (see below), grab a drinking glass and let's finish this masterpiece!
4. So, the image below is a little strange looking, but I basically put the ingredients on top of a drinking glass to elevate it so I could then finish "weaving" the sides for a more finished look. You may notice that the widest part of the brie / the outer edge has one slice of dough wrapped around it, then I could easily finish wrapping the other pieces under the brie. I also sliced a few inches off of each strip, so there wasn't a huge wad of dough below the brie when it baked.
5. Below, you see the final brie round before baking! You can definitely prep this ahead of time, and bake it right before you need it. Brush with egg wash if desired for an even shinier finish.
And presto chango...Look at THIS BEAUTY, below! It is absolutely gorgeous!
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is brown and flaky, cut into the cheese and let the middle just ooze out! Dip crackers, pretzels, green apples, and more into this creation, and enjoy!!
When you slice into this awesome creation, you may hear a little crunch of the flaky layers of dough, and then you will see the cheese just ooze out. Dip crackers, pretzels, and anything your heart desires into this melty cheese. The brie is very rich and creamy and does have a little bit of that funky taste that brie just has, but it pairs so well with the prosciutto and the puff pastry.
What do you think? Does this look like something you would eat or serve at your next gathering? I really hope you've enjoyed!!!